Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Coral Reef NightLife
Music by DJ QBert & Friends
Everything’s better under the sea: Join us in celebrating World Oceans Day and the beauty and wonder of coral reefs. Enjoy a nighttime dive show in our Philippine Coral Reef tank and marvel at the out-of-this-world scratching skills of local celeb DJ QBert.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
-----> Learn about the Academy’s long history of marine exploration in the Philippines, home to some of the most biologically diverse coral reefs in the world, and hear directly from the Philippine Consulate about efforts to protect them.
-----> Meet scientists as they share specimens—from nudibranchs to reef fish—and stories from the Coral Triangle. Find out what it takes to be a deep sea explorer and see new species discovered by Academy scientists.
-----> Drink for good with Dogfish Head’s SeaQuench Ale, a session sour beer made in partnership with the National Aquarium of Baltimore to promote sustainability within the seafood industry, among other initiatives.
-----> Make your own underwater soundtrack with the Seaquence app, a music production tool that lets you create soundscapes by animating alien-like sea creatures. Listen to your masterpiece with friends with Wearhaus wireless headphones—maybe you’ll be providing the soundtrack for a silent disco at your next house party?
-----> Continue on your knowledge and skill-building evening with an underwater photography demo and a lesson on sustainable seafood with Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love with a night of psychedelic science!
Everything’s better under the sea! Celebrate World Oceans Day and the wonder of reefs with the Academy +DJ QBert
Go big this week as NightLife gets really, really small to explore the wonderful world of microbiology.
Come celebrate love, equality, self-expression and San Francisco Pride at NightLife's annual Pride Party!
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.