Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Lunar New Year NightLife
Kick off the Year of the Pig with lion dancers, masked performers, and—you guessed it—pigs!
Music by DJ BAD DJ
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7p - 9p
Meet this year’s lunar animal ambassador when Little Explorers brings adorable pigs of all sizes for you to meet-and-greet. Plus, meet Lilou, San Francisco International Airport’s first-ever therapy pig.
7:30p & 8:30p
Check out a powerful lion dance performance and ceremony by SF’s own Jing Mo Athletic Association, a Chinatown-based martial arts performance troupe. Examine a lion dance costume up-close—and take a photo with it.
6p - 10p
- Chat about the history and contributions of Chinese-Americans with in-the-know historians from the Chinese Historical Society of America.
- Dig deep into the cultural meaning of emoji, stickers, memes, and the symbolic significance of pigs in Chinese social media with researchers from UC Berkeley Anthropology.
- Learn about the significance of tea and tea ceremonies with Fabula Tea, and try your hand at traditional Chinese calligraphy.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Discover our place in the cosmos in the new planetarium show Passport to the Universe, narrated by Tom Hanks.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Unlock the mysteries of terroir with a night of sipping, smelling, and exploring the science of coffee and wine.
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of neuroscience + human health.
We asked, you chose: goats. Join us for a “viewers’ choice” GOAT NightLife, celebrating goats and the G.O.A.Ts.