Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
Lolita Go Home, by Dani Bonnet
Expand your notion of Neon beyond commercial signage with a night dedicated to Neon: a glowing medium that has inspired adventurous artistry and represents fascinating science.
Featured DJ: Jay Midnight
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- At 7:30 PM, Learn all about the history and science behind Neon, plus the medium’s bright, artistic applications, in a talk with artist Camille MacRae with Meryl Pataky and Kelsey Issel, co-founders of She Bends, a womxn-focused Neon art collective.
- At 8:30 PM, Join the Academy’s very own Alison Gould as she breaks down the different ways marine creatures create light (hint: some rely on luminous bacteria!), and shares what bioluminescent symbioses can teach us about our own relationship with beneficial bacteria.
Philippine Coral Reef
8:00 & 9:00 PM
Meet Academy biologist Marisa Avila and see which of the animals in our Coral Reef tank shine the brightest under a beam of ultraviolet light.
The Green Room
6 - 10 PM
Step into our the lounge to chat with Academy Collections Manager, Dave Catania over some of the most luminous creatures from the deep sea. And get hands-on with fun bio-fluorescence experiments with researchers from Stanford University.
A few don't-miss NightLife details:
- To help keep guests safe and ensure everyone has plenty of room to roam, NightLife will be limiting capacity and have timed-entry tickets.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, reservations are required and capacity is limited. Reservations are first-come, first served—simply scan the QR code posted in the front lobby upon arrival to make your reservation.
Please note: food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium, and masks must be worn properly at all times.
- Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Academy Café and West Garden Terrace including a variety of grab-and-go options, craft cocktails, and more. All food and drink must be enjoyed outdoors.
- Please embrace the Academy’s three favorite Ws: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, and Watch your distance. All guests will be required to wear a mask and social distancing will be enforced according to the latest public health and safety guidelines.
- NightLife is adults-only for 21+
- Still have Q’s? See our FAQ’s here.
Discover how a deeper understanding of Earth might help us spot other living worlds light-years away.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
NightLife’s annual holiday bazaar returns featuring a merry marketplace of gift-worthy treasures + more.
Start the new year off with a bang, NightLife style! Featuring good music, good friends, and good art.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals. For adults 21+.
Celebrate the myriad applications of mycelium in a night dedicated to the fascinating world of fungi.