Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Tonight is a #TBT of epic proportions: Where better than NightLife to celebrate 10 years of our “new” Academy home? Raise a toast to a decade of the greenest museum on the planet with an evening of after-hours science and a DJ set of throwback jams by Starfari.
Throughout the night, relive the grand opening of the new Academy building and see photos of the rainforest dome before it housed trees and giant arapaimas and the swamp before it was Claude’s home base.
Schedule of Events
Unlocked Art Lab
Children’s Gallery, East Pavilion
6 - 10 pm
- Grab a pencil or a brush for another edition of Unlocked Art Lab, where an assortment of fascinating specimens from the Academy’s scientific collections will provide the artistic inspiration you need.
Coral Reef Dive
Philippine Coral Reef
- Watch as a diver suits up in scuba gear and plunges into one of the world’s deepest living coral reef exhibits. Outfitted with an underwater microphone, the diver will answer all of your reef-related questions.
6 - 10 pm
Get acquainted with a handful of the researchers behind the Academy’s work around the world and check out specimens from our over 100 year-old collections in
7:30 & 8:30 pm
- Visit the Morrison Planetarium for a screening of Fragile Planet, the first planetarium show to ever play after debuting our all-digital dome.
Music by Starfari
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Leave Planet Earth behind as you fly to the farthest reaches of the Universe! Narrated by Sigourney Weaver.
We’re celebrating the Academy’s 10 year by exploring how our view of the Universe has evolved in the last decade
Upcoming NightLife Events
Come dressed to go “Under the Sea” and celebrate World Oceans Day and the wonder of coral reefs.
NightLife partners with SF Design Week to explore the many ways design impacts lives, culture, and science.
NightLife gets under your skin with the opening of our newest exhibit!
Celebrate love, equality, and the rainbow spectrum of self-expression at NightLife's annual LGBTQ Pride party.