Academy PD: Summer 2015 Recap
This summer, we had the pleasure of working with a total of 322 teachers at the Academy, providing enriching science experiences and supporting their transition to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
Teacher Professional Development @ the Academy
Last week the Teacher Education team (Sarah Soule, Kathryn Danielson, Shumit DasGupta, and Clea Matson) wrapped up another exciting summer of teacher workshops!
This summer we had the pleasure of working with a total of 322 teachers, providing enriching science experiences and supporting their transition to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
Here are a few highlights of the summer:
- An article about our Inquiry Workshop was published by EdSource: http://edsource.org/2015/workshop-for-pre-k-2-teachers-supports-student-driven-science/84353
- Teachers from as far away as St Paul, Minnesota and Calgary, Canada participated in our programs.
- Most of our publicly offered workshops were completely sold out!
- We debuted a brand new type of workshop that focused on supporting teacher leaders, district staff, and other professional development providers in planning their own NGSS workshops.
- Along with our awesome Student Education colleagues (Lindzy Bivings, Cindy Valencia, Jacque Benitez, and Esther Tang), we provided NGSS workshops for SFUSD’s secondary science teachers at the district’s annual PD day.
- “This was an absolutely excellent workshop!! It was very well organized and planned. I have many practical ideas for planning pre-K inquiry activities.”
- “[I now have] less anxiety regarding the NGSS.”
- “It was all very well thought out and helpful. The time to process and discuss the metacognition of inquiry science was especially valuable.”
- “I really appreciated the time given to us to develop an activity which utilized the scientific practices.”
- “This workshop was so amazing! I feel prepared to share about the NGSS with the teachers I work with.”
- “Thanks for making [the NGSS] seem doable and exciting.”
Thanks to participating educators for a memorable summer!