The application for the 2022-2023 school year will open up in early August. Until then, enjoy your summer break!
© Mario Sánchez Prada
Each year, more than 1,600 schools visit the Academy on a field trip. School field trips are available for formal school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool, on a trip with their classroom teacher. Bring one class, or the entire grade!
While field trip rates are not available during the summer, groups are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, in order to receive a quote that applies any discounts eligible to your organization. Be sure to include details about your preferred visit date, the anticipated number of youth, and the anticipated number of adults. And ask any questions you'd like!
School field trip reservations are available for formal California school groups of students in grades pre-K through 12, including preschool, attending on a school day with their classroom teacher.
- To receive the school group rate, you must bring more than 10 people on your field trip, entering the building together at one time.
- San Francisco school groups receive free admission during the academic year.
- For other California school groups, pricing is a flat rate of $11.95 per person, whether student or adult chaperone. We are proud to offer this heavily discounted admission prices to schools regardless of Title I status.
- Eligibility for these free or discounted rates is at the discretion of the Academy, as subsidized admission is available thanks to generous annual donations to the Academy for All initiative.
- Payment must be received in full at least two weeks prior to your visit date, although you may modify your headcount before submitting payment. We accept mailed checks or payment by credit card over the phone to 877-227-3311.
The Academy will not ask any adults or minors visiting as part of a school field trip to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or booster shot to gain entrance to the museum.
Masks are strongly encouraged, but not required, while indoors.
Generally, field trips can be scheduled on most dates with the exception of holidays and school breaks.
Please note that the Rainforest exhibit is expected to be closed for annual maintenance on the following seven dates: September 13-14, 2022; January 24-26, 2023; May 9-10, 2023. If you attend on one of those dates, your students may not enter the Rainforest dome.
For those interested in our newest exhibits:
- Bugs is expected to run through January 22, 2023.
- Hidden Wonders is on exhibit throughout the school year.
For those interested in reserving seats in the Morrison Planetarium for your school group, be sure to review the calendar of student shows to select a date when a grade-appropriate show is playing.
Field trips are not available for the summer; we'll open up the application for the 2022-2023 school year in early August!
For additional planning tips and day-of resources, visit our Plan a Field Trip page.
The Rock Fund Program is open to K-5 classes in the city of San Francisco. This unique opportunity includes free field trip programming and needs-based transportation scholarships.
The School & Youth Field Trips program is generously supported by an anonymous donor, BioMarin, Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education, Jacques M. Littlefield Foundation, and Koret Foundation. Additional support is provided by the Academy’s local business donors.