- Our team is currently developing Virtual PD options and determining what our capacity will be in Spring 2021 and beyond
- Complete this short form and our team will reach out to start a conversation with you about customized support for your team.
Is your school or district seeking professional development in science instruction for a group of educators?
Read on, then complete the contact form to start a conversation with the Academy's Teacher Professional Development team. We would love to work with you to determine whether we can support your team of educators.
How do we support teachers?
Our team can customize a professional learning sequence based on the goals of your school or district, and are available during the academic year from September through April, pending our team's capacity.
Currently, we can provide virtual workshops and coaching for teachers. We look forward to eventually hosting teachers again in our world-class museum, and traveling to nearby school sites when possible.
We are open to partnerships that include:
- Delivering PD experiences for half-day, one-day, or multi-day sessions
- Building the capacity of teacher leaders within and across school sites
- Coaching teachers one-on-one in the classroom
- Coaching groups of teachers at school sites
- Facilitating planning days for groups of teachers
Below are our existing offerings for virtual and in-person science support, but if you don't see what you're looking for, please contact us and we may be able to customize something just for you!
NEW! Virtual experiences for teachers
All of our virtual workshops are highly interactive and engage participants in small-group discussion and individual exploration. Educators participate in activities as learners, and reflect with colleagues about how to apply ideas to their own teaching. We can welcome up to 95 participants per session, and our workshops range from 1.5-hour single sessions to a 9-hour learning experience over three days. Our growing list of virtual workshops includes:
- Engaging Learner's with the Academy's Online Resources
- Low Floor, High Ceiling: Making Science Tasks More Spacious
- Talk, Write, Draw: Tools for Meaning Making in Science
- Digging into Data
- Inquiry Anywhere
Returning soon! In-person experiences for teachers
We can deliver one-day sessions or multi-day series focused on any of the following themes:
- NGSS: Introductory & Intermediate Workshops
- Making the Most of Science Notebooks
- Levels of Inquiry/Student Investigations
- Hands On, Minds On: Activity Before Content
- Exploring Phenomena: Using Science to Figure Things Out
- Science Discourse for the NGSS classroom
- Mindset Matters: Learning and the Brain
- ...and more!
How much does this cost?
Previous partnerships with schools, districts, universities, and county offices have ranged in cost from approximately $1K (e.g. delivering a 1.5-hour conference-style session) to $70K (e.g. year-long, multi-modal support for an entire district around implementing new NGSS-aligned curriculum).
The cost of the Academy's custom PD depends on the length of the partnership, scope of work, and how much customization is requested or required.
The Academy's Teacher Professional Development team looks forward to learning more about your context and needs in order to craft meaningful science support to fit your goals and budget.
Acalanes High School
Bay Area Teacher Training Institute
Benicia Unified School District
Calcasieu Parish Public Schools, Louisiana
Contra Costa County Office of Education
Convent of the Sacred Heart
Gordon J. Lau Elementary
Jefferson Elementary School District
Leadership Public Schools
Los Gatos Union School District
Marin Primary & Middle School
Marjorie H. Tobias Elementary
Mill Valley School District
Palo Alto Unified School District
Pleasanton Unified School District
San Francisco Archdiocese
San Francisco State University
San Francisco Unified School District
Sonoma County Office of Education
Reed Union School District