Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Escape the winter doldrums with a trip to Tropical NightLife, where our three-story rainforest is just one of the places you’ll find tropical paradise vibes.
Kick off your getaway with a welcome drink from one of our rum-slinging “Tiki” bars. Roll up your sleeves and learn about scientific research in tropical places: Hear from Stanford scientists about tropical forest conservation in Costa Rica, current archeology research in the Pacific Atolls, and the effects of nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands on both its residents and coral reefs.
Dive into the “rainforests of the sea” and explore the beauty and diversity of coral reefs during a screening of our newest fulldome planetarium show, Expedition Reef.
Full details coming soon!
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Heads-up! Starting January 10, 2019, planetarium passes will be required for the 7:30, 8:30, and (new!) 9:30 pm shows. This will allow more guests to reserve their preferred showtimes in advance and better plan their evenings—and also help us manage high demand for limited planetarium seats.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free and seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 20 minutes before your ticketed showtime. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Explore the immense scale of the known Universe in this live presentation that leaves Earth far behind.
Embark on a journey into the hidden world of coral reefs.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Escape the winter doldrums with a trip to Tropical NightLife.
Explore the Academy through rose-colored glasses: Tonight we’re celebrating the wonderful world of color.
NightLife partners with SF Beer Week for a froth-filled evening of brews!
Come celebrate your Valentine's, Palentine's or Galentine's at the official Noise Pop Music Festival pre-party.