A night at the museum for your young explorer!
Discover the deepest depths of the oceans, travel to the tops of rainforests, and blast off into outer space at your own private planetarium show.
After milk and cookies, roll out your sleeping bag in one of our iconic exhibits. Snooze next to our African Penguin colony, dream beside fish in the Philippine Coral Reef, or drift off in a world of color at Color of Life!
In the morning, rise and shine for breakfast time at the Academy Café—and continue your adventure with complimentary next-day admission to the museum.
Ticket price includes:
- Overnight stay in an exhibit area
- Rainforest access until 8 pm
- Planetarium showings
- Late night snack and early morning breakfast
- Overnight parking in Music Concourse Garage
- Next day admission to the Academy
Upcoming sleepover events
Sleepovers start at 6 pm and continue until 8 am the following morning.
- Friday, October 6, 2023* (Reserved for Girl Scouts of NorCal and their families)
- Saturday, January 13, 2024
- Friday, January 26, 2024
- Saturday, February 10, 2024
- Saturday, February 24, 2024
- Saturday, March 9, 2024
- Saturday, March 23, 2024
- Friday, April 5, 2024
- Saturday, April 20, 2024 (Reserved for Girl Scouts of NorCal and their families)
- Friday, May 3, 2024
- Friday, May 24, 2024
- Friday, June 7, 2024 (Reserved for Girl Scouts of NorCal and their families)
*Please note: The rainforest will be closed for infrastructure maintenance during this event. There will be additional pop-up programming added to this event taking place throughout the museum.
Waiver of liability
The Academy requires each adult and child attending a sleepover to electronically sign a waiver of liability in advance. After buying your tickets, please click on the waiver link and complete one submission for each participant. For children, the waiver must be signed by the child’s parent or guardian. The waiver of liability must identify the adult who will be responsible for the child during the sleepover. No one can be admitted without having completed their waiver. Spanish waivers are available upon request.
The health and safety of Academy staff, guests, and animal residents continues to be our top priority. Please keep the following COVID-19 requirements in mind as you plan your sleepover experience, noting that health and safety policies for sleepovers may be different than for other Academy events:
- Sleepover negative-test policy: All sleepover guests, including children, must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of the event in order to be permitted to enter the Academy. Guests may provide a negative lab test result or a photo of an at-home test. For testing resources, please see the “Vaccination and test alternative” section of the Health & Safety page.
- Sleepover vaccination policy: While full vaccination (and booster doses, if eligible) is strongly encouraged for all sleepover guests, it is not required or verified at the door.
- Sleepover mask policy: While indoor masking is strongly encouraged for all guests, it is not required.
For more information and FAQs, please visit our Health & Safety page.
Please also note that the following activities are prohibited:
- Running, yelling, climbing, or throwing materials of any kind
- Touching, or attempting to frighten the animals in any manner, including tapping on aquariums or other exhibits
- Taking anything out of, or putting anything into, the exhibits
- Using the tanks and/or windows as writing surfaces (they scratch easily)
- Bare feet; shoes or soled slippers must be worn at all times
- Smoking, either in the Academy or Golden Gate Park; including use of smokeless tobacco products
- Bringing in food or drink, except in connection with dietary restrictions
- Using cell phones, except in the case of an emergency
Sleepovers are for children ages 4-14 and their chaperones 25 and older. Unaccompanied children or adults without children are not permitted. There must be at least one chaperone for every five children, and chaperones assume full responsibility for the children in their party. Adults ages 18-24 are welcome to attend, but may not serve as chaperones and must be part of a party with children and designated chaperones 25 and older. Our Girl Scout-only sleepovers are for K-12 Scouts and their families.
All our events, including Girl Scout-only events, are coed, and we welcome moms, dads, brothers, sisters, and even interested friends as part of your group.
Do bring: Proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours of the event, a pillow, sleeping bag, toiletries (showers not available), hard-soled shoes/slippers.
Do not bring: Flashlights, tents, outside food/drink (unless related to a special diet), coolers, balloons, radios, weapons.
Optional: Air mattresses, earplugs, sleep mask.
Reminder: Don't forget to complete your online waiver of liability! Each member of your party must fill one out before your sleepover.
After the Sleepover ends at 8 am, the museum must be vacated to prepare for opening. Since next-day admission to the museum is included with your sleepover ticket, feel free to get your hand stamped and re-enter when the building opens to the public for the day.
We do not allow outside food into the Academy during sleepovers, except in connection to a dietary restriction (please contact us in advance to arrange this). Dinner and drinks are available for purchase at the Academy Café from 6 – 8:30 pm, and a complimentary bedtime snack is available until 9 pm. Breakfast the next day is included.
There are no in/out privileges during the sleepover. If you leave the sleepover for any reason before its conclusion, you may re-enter when the Academy re-opens the next day.
Full payment is due at the time of booking for up to 20 individuals. Groups of 21 or more must pay a non-refundable deposit equal to 50% of the number of the people in their group within 3 business days of booking request. Full payment is due 60 days prior to the event date.
If requested more than 60 days prior to the event, up to 20 tickets of an order may be rescheduled once without penalty. No refunds or transfers to other dates will be given within 30 days of the event date. The Academy reserves the right to cancel any Penguins + Pajamas sleepover at any time.
All sleepover guests will be sent a sleep exhibit preference form two weeks before their event. This form allows for our guests to share their preference of where they will sleep. Our staff will assign sleep areas based on preferences, group size, and exhibit capacities, and your sleep assignment will be sent to you via email. Please note that you may not get assigned your first choice of a sleep area, but we're confident that no matter where you sleep you'll have a great sleepover!
Book an unforgettable sleepover for a group of 21 or more inquisitive kids! There must be one adult chaperone (age 25+) for every five children ages 4-14. Please note that Penguins+Pajamas Sleepovers are children’s events, and adults-only groups are not permitted.